Sunday, August 10, 2008

Eating locally

While we and the rest of the world cheer on all of the athletes at the Olympics in Beijing this week, dinner tonight was made from ingredients much closer to home. In fact, it doesn't get much closer than this.

Tonight's dinner was eggplant and tomatoes sauteed in a little olive oil with a bit of garlic (from mom's garden last year) and some onion. Spaghetti with freshly made pesto made with basil, romano cheese, walnuts, and some of olive oil - I used the good stuff.


The eggplant, basil, and grape tomatoes are all from our garden. The olive oil is local too, although not from North America. It is a locally produced olive oil from a small town in Italy near Siena that one of my skating students brought back from her visit there earlier this summer. It's really good too - the kind worthy of dunking a nice slice of crusty artisanal bread. She knows me too well. I don't cook that often, but when I do, I appreciate wonderful locally crafted ingredients.


No comments: