Sunday, February 10, 2008

Another day, another blog

Note: For those of you who have subscribed to my blog at the other service, this is the same blog. My other blogs are here and I like it here. I'm not leaving and you can't make me!

This blog is about preparing tasty, healthy, and minimal waste meals for kids and families on the go. With work, activities, and busy schedules, we hours on end out of the house. Drive throughs and snack bars are largely a thing of the past since I started packing healthy and appetizing snacks. My kids still ask for french fries and chicken nuggets every now and then, but most of the time they know that there is something fun and filling waiting for them in their lunchboxes.

  1. The guidelines I follow are pretty straightforward.
    No unwanted fats. The good fats, such as those found in nuts and avocados are welcome. I avoid the nasty ones, such as saturated fat and transfats, like the plague. Their not too distant cousins, hydrogenated oils, are not welcome either
  2. Minimal added sugar. I have a sweet tooth, as do my kids, but I make an effort to minimize foods that are high in sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Candy and fruit snacks manage to find their way into our house pretty regularly, but I limit how often and how much my kids get.
  3. Waste-free and economical. I use as many reusable containers as I can. When I shop I buy the largest and most economical sizes of items and repack them into smaller containers. Time is money and I have neither to waste, so it’s well worth the few minutes it takes to take a handful of crackers and put them into a container than it does to pay more for convenience packaging. There are some things that I will buy in convenience packs, such as fruit that is shelf stable in a tin or plastic bowl, but most of the time I do it myself.
  4. Earth friendly, healthy foods are the best options, but not the only ones. I buy organics, fair-trade, pesticide-free, free-range, and eco-friendly products when I can, but not exclusively. Although I agree wholeheartedly with buying local produce, earth friendly, environmentally safe, and other green products, my budget does not allow me to buy them all the time.
  5. We are omnivores with open minds and a conscience. We are not vegetarians as many Indian families are, but I prepare a lot of veg-friendly dishes. Likewise, we are not vegan, kosher, or anything else but we like a lot of gluten-free, vegan and kosher items too.
    I hope you like my blog. I will be posting a lot of pictures, some of my favorite things to prepare for my kids, as well as reviews on my favorite products to use for meals on the go. I will also post some recipes and instructions and guidelines on how to make them fit different dietary restrictions and lifestyles.


Thanks for reading and happy eating!

No comments: